While smooth stone is certainly the standard for architectural concrete, many people don’t realize the wide array of textured options available to them. At D.C. Kerckhoff, we offer outstanding products for our commercial clientele, helping them build beautiful hotels, residences, and more. Our trademarked Stone Cast™ products are exceptionally high quality, durable, and aesthetic. We aim to inspire our customers to create beautiful balustrades, bases, bowls, buildings, and more. One of the ways we capture our clientele’s imagination is by offering a wide range of finishes for our stone. If you want something more than a smooth finish, read on to learn more about our textured options.
Why Choose Textured?
Smooth architectural elements have their merits, but there are many benefits to textured finishes. The advantages include:
- Adding accents to pools copings, trims, hardscape, and more.
- Providing greater depth and complexity to the color and style of stone products. Texture can be an important design decision.
- Offering more choices for customization. You can decide exactly what kind of texture you would like to create and implement, especially since we engineer a variety of types.
- Allowing for a greater diversity of design styles.
- Making your architectural plan unique. Finishes add the final polish to your particular project.
Stone is one of the most versatile building materials, in large part due to its texture. D.C. Kerckhoff provides an array of Stone Cast™ finishes to help our clients take advantage of everything this substance has to offer. When you work with our company, you can choose from any of the following for your architectural project:
- Acid Wash Texture. This is one of our most popular finishes. In his book, Architectural Stone: Fabrication, Installation, and Selection, Mark A. Chacon describes this technique: “acid washed finishes are produced by applying acid to the surface of a stone to create a rustic texture…acid washed finishes will appear different from stone to stone, however, the color generally darkens and a satin sheen is produced.” Acid washing can often creates a shiny, smooth texture with a smattering of small indentations. This treatment can also give the stone a spotted appearance. No two acid washes are exactly alike.
- ChiselStone Texture. As its name suggests, ChiselStone texture is achieved by using a manual tool to modify various slabs, bricks, or sections. Like acid wash texture, ChiselStone can provide a more classic, antiquated appearance. Since it often has a dark, rough appearance, chisel stone can be reminiscent of castle exteriors.
- CoralStone Texture. Some of the most beautiful natural stones are those that were once underwater and therefore home to various coral creatures. We mimic the appearance of these ancient materials with our CoralStone texture, manufactured by stamping the slab with subtle patterns and creating slight variations in depth. This finish often includes small pockmarks, streaks, and shell designs.
- Light Texture. We understand that some clients may want a simpler, less stylistic texture. Our light texture is generally smooth with some depressions, rough patches, and splotches of color variation.
- Regular Texture. This type of finish is most like organic stone. It is quite rough, with numerous depressions, pockmarks, and streaks. Regular texture is very versatile and provides a natural look.
- ShellCast Champion Color. Many natural stones were formed beneath the ocean, embedded with and indented by tiny shells. ShellCast Champion Color is relatively smooth, but with small shell pieces, holes, and streaks. This finish may be especially appropriate for seaside structures.
- ShellCast Polished. This texture is very similar to ShellCast Champion Color, but it is generally darker, smoother, and with larger shell pieces. Like its counterpart, it may be a good choice for oceanfront hotels or buildings in tropical locales.
How We Can Help
The D.C. Kerckhoff team can help you choose the right textured finishes for your project. We have helped numerous clients make the most of their stonework by choosing the right textures. Consider a few of our case studies:
- We designed a 32-acre garden for the Four Seasons Orlando. To complete such a large undertaking, we needed to utilize and harmonize numerous textures. We created and shipped over 85,000 customized pieces in Light, Regular, and ChiselStone Textures.
- Smithfield Foods in Virginia approached us to create Stone Cast™ accents for their classic brick building. We used an acid wash finish to highlight the aesthetic of this structure.
- We manufactured more than 50,000 Light Medium Texture pieces for a gorgeous residence in Long Island, New York.
- One of our most memorable projects was for Disney Polynesian. We used customized Form Texture to make stone pieces that looked like Sabal palm trunks for theme park planters.
Try Textured Today
Are you looking for something more than a smooth finish? Contact D.C. Kerckhoff today to learn more about our textured finishes or schedule a consultation.